Sunday, June 29

The birds were singing/the way people do things in different cultures.

So I went to a wedding yesterday. The thing is, it was a French wedding. “what’s your point”? I hear you ask…

French weddings are kinda weird, as the official ceremony happens at the town/city hall in front of the mayor (or another official) and two or so witnesses. The Church ceremony (what we be used to in other countries) has nothing official about it (apart from, or course, being married by one of God’s ambassadors and having the thing witnessed by friends and family!).

Anyhoo, it was cool (despite the oven-temperature heat) to see two good friends “tie the knot” (despite it being all a bit formal for my liking). After the 4:30pm Church ceremony (which followed the town hall ceremony), there was a wee snack, followed by the reception, which got underway about 7:30pm.

Evidently (I wasn’t aware of this, but others told me it was normal) a lot more happens at receptions in this country: many people get up and share, there are items, videos, photos, poems and even games that the whole official party plays.

There was, of course, the cutting of the cake and some dancing, which I didn’t take part in, as I was giving a hand with the washing up (dancing is not really my thing, so it worked well!). We were out of there (just after the newly-weds) at about 3:30am, meaning that by the time we got back to camp, it was starting to get twilight and the birds were singing (I never knew they got up that early!)…


Comments:
I didn't know the birds were singing that late!!!
That's great! I hope you had a good night of sleep and that you'll be up to the next camp coming!!
See you soon!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?